Thursday, November 25, 2010

Attempted rebellion from the Thanksgiving list


HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I know the traditional thing to do here would be to list the things for which I'm most thankful. And believe me, I could. But I have to be honest, I feel almost redundant writing a list of things I'm thankful for on a blog I started sitting on my laptop computer, in my comfortable room, on a study abroad term, in Lima Peru.


Just the fact that I'm here, typing this right now, means I'm an extremely fortunate girl, and have opportunities most of the world only dreams about.



Just the fact that I can form these words and sentences in English in a very coherent manner with passable grammar means that I have had an education many break their backs to give their children.



Just the fact that I know that I'm writing to someone, family and friends new and old, means that I have a support system without which many fall into loneliness or despair.

Just the fact that I can see this screen, hear the little typity noises, and move my fingers ever-so-dexterously (or sometimes not) over the keys means I have skills that some people can't take for granted.

So no, I'm not going to make a list (wait....). I'm just going to thank God that I'm sitting right here, and then wish you all a day of wholesome turkey, safe houses, good company, and thankfulness. Even if you don't have a special day named after it.

And then I'm going to set to work on the first and probably only American Thanksgiving dinner I will ever assist with in Peru. It won't be disastrous, it won't be disastrous, it won't be disastrous....

Warning: this blog domain will be changing within the week to
http://fadingmarginsofdani.blogspot.com. So watch out for it!
Or subscribe, and then you won't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment